(618) 327-4800 (ext. 320)



Daniel R. Janowski
State’s Attorney

Crystal May
David Stanton
Assistant State’s Attorneys

Sharyn Wilkey
Victim Advocate / Legal Secretary

Sierra Garrison

Frequently Asked Question’s

What if I cannot make a court ordered payment?

If you cannot make a payment on or before the date ordered by the Court, you must appear before the Judge at the time and date listed on the Order and request additional time.  Neither the State’s Attorney’s Office nor the Circuit Clerk’s Office can override a Court Order.  If the payment is not made or excused by the Court, a warrant may issue for your arrest.

What should I do if I cannot make my court date?

If you cannot be in court when you are supposed to be, you must file a Motion to Continue in the Circuit Clerk’s Office, with a copy thereof provided to the State’s Attorney’s Office.  The Motion to Continue must clearly state the reason you are unable to appear and must have attached supporting documents, if available (i.e. doctor’s order).  The Motion to Continue is not a form provided by the Circuit Clerk.  The State’s Attorney will not file this form for you.  This must be set for hearing prior to the appearance you are seeking to continue.   The Judge will decide whether or not the continuance should be granted.

How do I initiate charges if I believe a crime has been committed?

The State’s Attorney’s Office does not investigate reported crimes.  The State’s Attorney’s Office reviews the results of investigations conducted by law enforcement agencies and decides whether or not prosecution should be pursued.  To report a crime, you must contact the local law enforcement agency that has jurisdiction over the incident.  Routinely, the proper law enforcement agency is the police department of the city or town where the incident occurred.  If the incident occurred in an area where no police department maintains coverage, the proper agency is normally the Sheriff’s Office.

How do I get supervision for a ticket I received?

The State’s Attorney’s Office may, at our discretion, agree to court supervision prior to your court date.  As a general rule, supervision will be agreed to if you have not received supervision for any other citation in the 12 months prior to the date of the ticket for which supervision is being sought and your driver’s license abstract demonstrates you otherwise qualify.  In this circumstance, you may contact the State’s Attorney’s Office and request the paperwork for supervision.  If our office will not agree to supervision for any particular ticket, you may still appear in court on the date and time listed on your ticket and request supervision from the court.

How will supervision affect my driving record?

If court supervision is successfully completed, the subject ticket will not appear as a conviction on your driving record.  This does not necessarily mean that the charge or the grant of supervision will not appear on your driving record.  The State’s Attorney’s Office has no control over whether or not any information related to the charge appears on your driving record.  We also cannot advise you concerning any effect supervision might have on your record, your insurance, or concerning any action the Secretary of State might take against your license.

How do I have my Court records sealed or expunged?

Certain requirements must be met before someone can have their criminal history sealed or expunged.  Information concerning clearing your criminal record can be obtained from the Circuit Clerk; however, the Circuit Clerk cannot give legal advice concerning such matters.  If you have questions regarding qualifications or requirements, you should contact a private attorney to represent you in your matter.

I made a complaint concerning a domestic violence incident, but I no longer want to cooperate with the investigation or prosecution.  Can I have the charges dismissed?

It is the policy of the Washington County State’s Attorney’s Office to prosecute those who commit the offense of domestic battery.  Offenders often use threats against and/or promises to their victims to force victims to recant their allegations or request the charges to not be prosecuted.  As part of our policy, this office will not dismiss a complaint of domestic battery at the sole request of the victim.  Further, it is routine for the Court to issue an order that the alleged perpetrator (defendant) have no contact with the victim.  If the No Contact Order is violated by the defendant, even at the invitation of the victim, the defendant is subject to arrest.

How do I get an Order of Protection?

The State’s Attorney’s Office does not seek Orders of Protection.  If you need assistance in this regard, you should contact a private attorney or an organization specializing in this type of matter.  If you are in a relationship that falls within the definition of a “domestic relationship,” one such organization providing services is PAVE. PAVE’s telephone number is 1-800-924-8444.

Can I speak with the State’s Attorney concerning my divorce or other private legal matter?

The State’s Attorney’s Office is prohibited from giving legal advice on civil matters.  Divorce, child custody, forcible entry and detainer (removing renters from rental property) are examples of cases that the State’s Attorney cannot address for individual members of the public.  If you need legal advice concerning these or other civil matters, you should contact a private attorney.

How can I get a copy of a police report or other case information?

The State’s Attorney’s Office Does not provide the general public with information concerning cases, current or closed.  To obtain copies of police reports, you must contact the arresting agency.  Additionally, the Circuit Clerk’s Office retains the Court files in which certain public information is located.  Information for viewing these records and any fee for acquiring copies of them can be obtained through the Washington County Circuit Clerk’s Office.

How do I get my driver’s license reinstated or get a work driving permit?

The State’s Attorney’s office does not issue, revoke, or suspend driver’s licenses.  All issues pertaining to the suspension or revocation of an Illinois driver’s license must be handled through the Illinois Secretary of State’s Office.

I was the victim of a crime.  Why haven’t I received restitution payment from the Court yet?

If you timely provided to the investigating agency all requested information concerning your restitution and have not yet received full or partial payment, it may be for any of the following reasons:

  • The Defendant in the case may not yet have been determined by the court to be guilty of the crime.
  • The Defendant may have been determined to be guilty, but may still need to have a Time Payment Order established.
  • The Defendant may have been ordered to pay the restitution, but has not complied with the Order, in which case a warrant has likely been issued for his or her arrest.

It is the State’s Attorney’s policy to request that the Court order a Defendant who has pled to or been found guilty of a crime to pay restitution.  The amount of restitution requested is based on the information provided by the victim to the investigating agency.  Once restitution is ordered by the Court, the State’s Attorney pursues payment to the extent possible, including seeking warrants from the Court for those who do not pay.  The State’s Attorney’s Office, however, does not execute the warrants or physically locate the Defendants.